If you haven’t gotten your home ready for winter, now is definitely the time. Here are some tips to get you and your home ready for the cold:
1. Check your windows and doors for air and water leaks
2. Check gutters and downspouts for proper drainage
3. Inspect roofs for missing shingles. Also, clean leaves and debris out of gutters and ensure that downspouts are in place and secured.
4. Check waste pipe flanges and chimneys for leaks
5. Check that your siding is properly secured
6. Visually check your foundation. Take a walk around your house and inspect your foundation by looking for cracks.
7. Check decks, porches, and stairs for damage or rot
8. Turn off water supply to exterior faucets and drain hoses. Burst water pipes are usually found when temperatures warm and pipes thaw.
9. Mark off walk-ways and drive-ways before snow fall, this may help locate specific areas in need of snow removal.
10. Prepare an emergency kit. When the power goes out, you’ll be thankful for having a bin of “needed” items: blankets, candles, matches, flashlights with batteries, first aid kit, manual can opener, non-perishable food and bottled water.
Give us a call if you need any assistance. Hurry, before the first snowfall sticks!