If you haven’t gotten your home ready for winter, now is the time. Here are some tips to get you and your home ready for the cold:
1. Inspect your roof for missing shingles. Also, clean leaves and debris out of gutters and ensure that downspouts are in place and secured.
2. Check all exterior window and door openings, vents, and pipes. Check to make sure windows and doors close properly and have weather-stripping. Also, check to make sure vents are clear.
3. Have your furnace inspected. This will prevent problems during the heating season and should also help keep the utility bill down. Make sure to change the filter regularly, especially during heavier use.
4. Inspect your chimney or have it swept. Chimneys used by fireplaces and appliances should be inspected on a regular basis.
5. Visually check your foundation. Take a walk around your house and inspect your foundation by looking for cracks.
6. Turn off water supply to exterior faucets and drain hoses. Burst water pipes are usually found when temperatures warm and pipes thaw.
7. Mark off walk-ways and drive-ways with flags before snow falls, this may help locate specific areas in need of snow removal.
8. Prepare an emergency kit. When the power goes out, you’ll be thankful for having a bin of “needed” items: blankets, candles, matches, flashlights with batteries, first aid kit, manual can opener, non-perishable food and bottled water.
Give us a call if we can be of any assistance !
252 Britton Street, Raynham